204878 Effect of Metro Living on Oral Cancers in Virginia: 2001-2005

Monday, November 9, 2009

Preeti K. Sastry, BDS MPH , Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
Forty percent of all head and neck cancers occur in the oral cavity. According to ICD-O; C00-C14 includes cancers of the lip, oral cavity and pharynx. Purpose of this study was to look at distribution of Oral and Oro-pharyngeal Cancers in Virginia (2001-2005). We are also looking to determine if Metro living is a predictor of Oral Cancer after adjusting for variables.

The data was obtained from the Virginia Cancer Registry. Cancer counts were obtained based on gender, age, Beale code distribution and stage at diagnosis. Analysis was done using SAS 9.1. Descriptive statistics was followed by a log-linear model. Poisson's regression was used to observe if the cancer counts were influenced by Beale code 3.

During the five year period VCR received 3,390 reported cases of oral and pharyngeal cancers. 67.35% (2283) of the cases were diagnosed in males and the rest 32.65% were females (1107). 82% of all Oro-pharyngeal cancers were seen amongst whites with the majority of them amongst 35-74 age groups (78.41%).

More than 50% of cancers were diagnosed at an advanced stage; a significant relation was not observed between advanced oral cancers and metro living (p =0.2878). A scaled deviance regression model indicated that trend in cancer counts were stable after adjusting for race, age and gender (θ=-0.04, p-value =0.617).

Our study observed a stable trend within the metro populations and advanced oral cancers. Further research is recommended to identify the various etiologies responsible for oral cancer and eliminate screening barriers within urban populations.

Learning Objectives:
1. Discuss the various predictors for Oral cancers in Virginia 2. Assess the distribution of Oral Cancer counts over the 5 years in Virginia 3. Analyze if metro living (Beale code 3) is a predictor for oral cancer in Virginia and develop various screening modalities for early detection of oral cancer.

Presenting author's disclosure statement:

Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: Research paper during masters project;(MPH) Dental background:Foreign trained dental graduate (BDS)
Any relevant financial relationships? No

I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines, and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed in my presentation.