217835 Voting results for student, faculty and staff support of a tobacco-free campus environment at a large university in the Midwest

Monday, November 8, 2010 : 5:04 PM - 5:21 PM

Tavis Glassman, PhD , Health Education, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Diana Reindl, MA , Health Education and Rehabilitaion Services, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Aubrey Whewell, MPH , Health Education and Rehabilitation Services, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Robert Braun, MPH, CHES , Health Education, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
Background: The purpose of this study was to assess student, faculty and staff support for a tobacco-free campus environment. In 2009, the American College Health Association (ACHA) adopted a formal recommendation encouraging colleges and universities to achieve campus-wide tobacco-free environment. With this impetus, a large school in the Midwest conducted a vote on whether the campus should maintain its current policy, only allow tobacco use in a limited number of designated areas, or completely ban tobacco use on campus. Methods: An electronic portal was developed allowing all students, faculty, and staff to vote for one of three options. A pre-notification e-mail and three reminder emails were sent encouraging them to vote within a 30 day time period. Results: Approximately a quarter of those eligible voted (24%, n=6,199). Over two-fifths (42.2%) voted to maintain the current university policy, 41.2% voted to ban tobacco use, and 16.6% voted to permit tobacco use in designated areas. Overall, 57.8% of voters indicated they were in favor of a more restrictive tobacco policy than the statuesque. Females were much more likely to vote in favor of banning tobacco use on campus with 47.3% indicating their support, compared to only 34.8% of males. Conclusions: Results demonstrate the majority of individuals support implementing a more restrictive tobacco policy on campus. Tobacco education targeting males appears warranted, given their likelihood to be less supportive of tobacco regulation. Focus groups may provide insight concerning gender discrepancies related to support for tobacco policy.

Learning Areas:
Public health or related organizational policy, standards, or other guidelines
Public health or related public policy

Learning Objectives:
Objective: By the end of the session participants will be able to list strategies for implementing a tobacco-free campus policy. Objective: By the end of the session participants will be able to identify gender preferences for a tobacco-free campus policy.

Keywords: Policy/Policy Development, Tobacco

Presenting author's disclosure statement:

Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: I am an assistant professor at the University of Toledo with a Ph.D. and have familiarity with voting of students about a tobacco-free campus.
Any relevant financial relationships? No

I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines, and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed in my presentation.

Back to: 3380.0: SFU: Smoke Free Universities