246213 Relationships between Adult Binge Drinking and Alcohol-Related Behaviors among Youth: Implications for Public Health

Tuesday, November 1, 2011: 2:50 PM

Ziming Xuan, ScD, SM, MA , Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA
Toben F. Nelson, ScD , Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Victoria Churchill, MPH , School of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA
Paul Gruenewald, PhD , Prevention Research Center, Berkeley, CA
Chelsea Carter , Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, CA
Matthew Reeder, MPH , Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Timothy S. Naimi, MD, MPH , Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Background: Underage drinking is an important public health problem; most efforts to combat it have a youth-oriented focus. However, little is known about the relationship between state-level adult binge drinking prevalence and youth's individual alcohol use.

Methods: Individual-level alcohol-related behaviors among students in grades 9-12 were obtained from biennial state-based Youth Risk Behavior Surveys from19992009. State-level adult binge drinking prevalence was obtained from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System survey for the same states and years. Adjusted odds ratios were used to assess the effect of a 1% increase in adult binge drinking on alcohol-related behaviors among youth.

Results: After adjusting for individual-level youth demographics and state-level covariates including age, sex, racial/ethnic composition, per capita income, educational attainment, religious affiliation, consumer price index, level of urbanization and alcohol treatment characteristics, a 1% increase in state-level adult binge drinking prevalence was associated with a 2% (95% CI: 1.01, 1.02) increase of odds of youth binge drinking, and a 3% (95% CI: 1.02, 1.03) increase of odds of youth drinking and driving.

Conclusions: Adult binge drinking is a strong predictor of alcohol-related behaviors among youth. Further studies are needed to determine the extent to which population-based alcohol control policies contribute to these relationships, and the degree to which population-based alcohol policies should be prioritized in efforts to reduce youth drinking and its consequences.

Learning Areas:
Epidemiology
Public health or related research

Learning Objectives:
Evaluate the impact of state-level binge drinking prevalence on youth's individual binge drinking as well as alcohol-impaired driving behaviors

Keywords: Binge Drinking, Youth

Presenting author's disclosure statement:

Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: I conduct research on binge drinking among youth.
Any relevant financial relationships? No

I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines, and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed in my presentation.