Relationship of human milk feeding with infant health outcomes: A longitudinal analysis of BINGO and pairings study data
Monday, November 4, 2013
: 4:50 p.m. - 5:10 p.m.
, Department of Epidemiology, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Carolina Global Breastfeeding Institute, Chapel Hill, NC, NC
Miriam Labbok, MD, MPH, FACPM, IBCLC, FABM
, Carolina Global Breastfeeding Institute, Department of Maternal Child Health, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
Karen Bonuck, PhD
, Department of Family and Social Medicine; Department of Obstetrics, and Women's Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
Objectives: To assess the relationship between intensity of human milk feeding and the occurrence of infant illness during the first year of life. Methods: Data on infant feeding were collected by interviewing the mother at 1, 3, and 6 months postpartum. Four levels of human milk feeding intensity', the exposure variable of interest, are defined as: (1) exclusively formula fed, (2) <20% human milk, (3) >20% and <80% human milk, (4) >80% human milk based on a previously published approach. Infant health data were collected using (a) medical records and (b) mother-report of infant illness. Marginal structural models were used to estimate the relationship between human milk feeding intensity and infant illness. Inverse probability of treatment weights were applied to the data to adjust for confounding. A gamma sensitivity analysis was used to assess whether the results were sensitive to unmeasured confounding. Results: Exclusive formula feeding, compared with >80% human milk feeding, was associated with an increased odds of respiratory infection, as reported on medical records. Exclusive formula feeding, compared with >80% human milk feeding, was associated with increased odds of maternal reporting that her infant had a cough, eczema, cold, and any illness. <20% human milk feeding, compared with >80% human milk feeding, was associated with increased risk for maternal report of infant cough and report of any illness. Conclusions: The results show that reduced human milk feeding is associated with increased infant illness during the first year of life.
Advocacy for health and health education
Other professions or practice related to public health
Protection of the public in relation to communicable diseases including prevention or control
Public health or related research
Discuss the relationship of exclusive formula feeding compared with >80% human milk feeding with infant health outcomes.
Descirbe an anlatyic approach that follows a potential outcomes framework.
Identify specific infant health outcomes related to exclusive formula feeding.
Keyword(s): Breastfeeding, Infant Health
Presenting author's disclosure statement:
Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: I have been involved in both intervention and epidemiological breastfeeding-focused research for several years. My focus has centered on policy/program impact on breastfeeding behaviors and infant feeding behaviors' relationship with health outcomes.
Any relevant financial relationships? No
I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines,
and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed
in my presentation.