Integrating community health workers into healthcare delivery models: Triumphs and tribulations of community health workers working on healthcare teams
As CHWs play an increasing role in health delivery, we need to explore their perspectives regarding their work in healthcare teams. In a 90-minute panel discussion, CHWs from four leading healthcare-integrated CHW programs will present their perspectives:
- LA County Care Connections Program – primary care-integrated, care management program that addresses the needs of LA's highest risk primary care patients
- Sinai Urban Health Institute – the research arm of a safety-net community hospital that employs CHWs to address widening racial/ethnic disparities in health for various chronic diseases
- Sisters Together And Reaching, Inc. – community-based program that partners with Johns Hopkins Medicine to address the needs of patients residing in low-income neighborhoods in East Baltimore
- The PACT Project – community-based program that partners with Boston-area HIV providers to address the needs of high-risk AIDS patients
The following questions wiill be addressed through brief presentations, followed by an interactive, moderated discussion:
- What are the biggest successes/challenges of CHWs working with traditional healthcare delivery teams? How have you built upon successes and addressed challenges?
- What challenges have you noted from the tension between being a community advocate and an employed member of a healthcare delivery team?
Learning Areas:Administer health education strategies, interventions and programs
Chronic disease management and prevention
Implementation of health education strategies, interventions and programs
Other professions or practice related to public health
Planning of health education strategies, interventions, and programs
Provision of health care to the public
Describe CHW perspectives on key successes and how they have built upon them. Describe CHW perspectives on key challenges and how they have overcome them.
Keyword(s): Community Health Workers and Promoters, Health Care Delivery
Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: I am the Project Manager of the Care Connections Program (CCP), a Community Health Worker program in the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. Through my role, I supervise 25 CHWs and played a key role in developing protocols for the implementation of the program. I will be co-presenting with Ami Shah, the Executive Director of the CCP.
Any relevant financial relationships? No
I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines, and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed in my presentation.