Valuable Role of Children in Community Mobilization for Polio Eradication
- Children became the child mobilizer
- Emphasis of messages on healthy family and community
· Hand washing prevents childhood illnesses like diarrhoea and polio.
· Promotion of hand washing behaviour before mid-day meal.
· Involvement of school teachers
· Increase use of toilets
· Incentives played an important role in mobilizing and sustaining involvement of children.
Method: Combination of quantitative and qualitative data are collected and analysed monthly as a part of user friendly Monitoring and Reporting System.
Result: Helped in creating enabling environment and spirit of volunteerism among children. At present it is implemented in non-CMC areas. More than one thousand schools are involved and the booth coverage is constantly improving in CMC areas (82.4%) as compare to non-CMC areas (47.1%) in Core Group Polio Project districts.
Conclusion: Creative, Correct, Simple messages, coupled with interesting interventions will lead to effective involvement of children, teachers and community.
• Make communication simple and interesting
• Address doubts of teachers and students in simple language immediately.
• Always involve school authorities
Learning Areas:Administer health education strategies, interventions and programs
Advocacy for health and health education
Assessment of individual and community needs for health education
Discuss the role of children in mobilizing community for Polio vaccination at the booth
Qualified on the content I am responsible for because: I have been working with international non government organization in the area of development communication on maternal & child health, HIV/AIDS, Polio Eradication & Strengthening routine immunization since last twenty years. I am qualified to be an abstract author on the content and I am responsible for because I have supported in designing and implementation of the interventions.
Any relevant financial relationships? No
I agree to comply with the American Public Health Association Conflict of Interest and Commercial Support Guidelines, and to disclose to the participants any off-label or experimental uses of a commercial product or service discussed in my presentation.