Structured Abstract Format: Abstracts should be submitted in a structured format. Please use one of the following two formats:
An alternative format, suited for abstracts about policy, programs, interventions, and other types of research evaluations, may be used:
In addition please clearly state whether a supplemental summary is to be considered;
Please indicate if your abstract submission is directly related to an abstract submitted by another author and the intent is for the two abstracts to be presented during the same session;
Make sure work is original and not previously presented;
Follow proper protocol for your APHA abstract submission;
No use of brand names or organizations is permitted;
All abstracts are to be submitted electronically through the APHA on-line electronic abstract submission website.
Abstracts should be no more 250 words and must include clear and concise learning objectives.
NO EXTENSIONS WILL BE GRANTED BEYOND Incomplete abstracts will not be considered.
Continuing Education Credit
APHA values the ability to provide continuing education credit to physicians, nurses, health educators and those certified in public health at its annual meeting. Please complete all required information when submitting an abstract so members can claim credit for attending your session. These credits are necessary for members to keep their licenses and credentials.
For a session to be eligible for Continuing Education Credit, each presenter must provide:
1) an abstract free of trade and/or commercial product names
2) at least one MEASURABLE objective (DO NOT USE understand or to learn as objectives, they are not measurable).
Examples of Acceptable Measurable Action Words: Explain, Demonstrate, Analyze, Formulate, Discuss, Compare, Differentiate, Describe, Name, Assess, Evaluate, Identify, Design, Define or List.
3) A signed Conflict of Interest (Disclosure) form with a relevant Qualification Statement. See an example of an acceptable Qualification Statement on the online Disclosure form. Thank you for your assistance in making your session credit worthy. Contact Annette Ferebee at email@example.com if you have any questions concerning continuing education credit. Contact the program planner for all other questions.
Linked-Abstract and Panel Session Details
Scientific program sessions are 90-minutes and typically hold four to five abstracts within a similar theme. If you are interested in linking abstracts to be presented in the same scientific session, please be sure to link all submitted abstracts together. You MUST link each abstract within the APHA on-line abstract submission program. Further, you must notify Albert Pless at firstname.lastname@example.org that these abstracts are a collection. Please be aware, however, that all abstracts are scored on their individual merit. It is possible that not all linked abstracts will be selected. If you are assembling a panel presentation for review, please be aware that a full abstract submission including speakers must be included at the time of the abstract submission. It is highly recommended that any person(s) submitting for a panel presentation, provide supplemental information to the Men’s Health Caucus as previously indicated. The panel will be reviewed based on individual merit and anticipated presenters, topic area, and how it relates to both the APHA theme and the Men’s Health Caucus mission.
The Men’s Health Caucus is interested in individuals who can present on original, basic, advanced or applied research that addresses public health research, programs and policies impacting the health and quality of life of Men and related, vulnerable populations. Please email Albert with more at email@example.com
Abstract review and presentation type
Abstracts are reviewed anonymously and rated according to the following criteria:
1. important issue or problem addressed,
2. innovative approach or perspective,
3. sound methods or arguments,
4. substantive findings or recommendations, and
5. compelling to a broad audience.
Those whose abstracts are accepted for presentation will be asked either to give 15-minute oral presentations or to present their work in an hour-long poster session
NOTE: Abstracts cannot be presented or published in any journal prior to the APHA Annual Meeting
Continuing Education Credit
1. an abstract free of trade and/or commercial product names.
2. a signed Conflict of Interest (Disclosure) form with a relevant Qualification Statement. See an example of an acceptable Qualification Statement on the online Disclosure form.
3. at least one measurable objective (DO NOT USE "understand" or "to learn" as objectives. They are not measurable). Examples of acceptable measurable action words:Explain, Demonstrate, Analyze, Formulate, Discuss, Compare, Differentiate, Describe, Name, Assess, Evaluate, Identify, Design, Define, or List
Albert W. Pless, MSMA