We seek abstracts that focus on the broad range of health consequences of war, violence and conflict and on solutions related to the prevention of war, violence and conflict. We welcome abstracts that will advance the uptake of APHA’s 2009 policy “The Role of Public Health Practitioners, Academics, and Advocates in Relation to Armed Conflict and War" within and beyond APHA and build on the 2018 APHA Conference theme "Creating the Healthiest Nation: Health Equity Now."
We encourage co-sponsorship and participation in planning of these sessions by other sections, SPIGs, and caucuses, as well as by new professionals and students. We are seeking oral presentations and films to be included in the convention film festival. We are not allocated any poster session time slots.
Please feel free to contact Program Planner Patrice Sutton at email@example.com if you would like to discuss your ideas prior to submission. Broad categories of potential sessions include:
Continuing Education Credit: APHA values the ability to provide continuing education credit to physicians, nurses, health educators and those certified in public health at its annual meeting. Please complete all required information when submitting an abstract so members can claim credit for attending your session. These credits are necessary for members to keep their licenses and credentials. For a session to be eligible for Continuing Education Credit, each presenter, panelist, and/or discussant must provide:
1) an abstract free of trade and/or commercial product names
2) at least one MEASURABLE SINGLE outcome ("to understand" or "to learn" are not measurable outcomes and compound outcomes are not acceptable). Use only the following Measurable Action Verbs:
* Explain, Demonstrate, Analyze, Formulate, Discuss, Compare, Differentiate, Describe, Name, Assess, Evaluate, Identify, Design, Define or List.
3) A signed Conflict of Interest Disclosure form with a relevant qualification statement
* Example of Acceptable Biographical Qualification Statement: (I have been the principal or co-principal of multiple federally funded grants focusing on the epidemiology of drug abuse, HIV prevention and co-occurring mental and drug use disorders. Among my scientific interests has been the development of strategies for preventing HIV and STDs in out-of-treatment drug users.) Please note that I am the Principle Investigator of this study is NOT an acceptable qualification statement.
4) All continuing education learning content must be of sound scientific or professional practice and serve to maintain, develop, or increase the knowledge, skills and professional competence of the health professional. Learning content should be evidence-based if available. A list of over 30 areas will be provided online for you to choose from. You will be asked to choose at least one or up to 6 areas that your presentation will address.
* Thank you for your assistance in making your session credit worthy. Contact Mighty Fine at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions concerning continuing education.
Nada Alnaji, MD, MPH
College of Public Health
University of Nebraska Medical Center
S 42nd St & Emile St
omaha, NE 68198
Patrice Sutton, MPH
University of California San Francisco
550 16th Street
San Francisco, CA 94143
Phone: 415 407 8806