STRUCTURED ABSTRACT FORMAT (suitable for abstracts on scientific research): BACKGROUND: Study objectives, hypothesis, or a description of the problem; METHODS: Study design, including a description of participants, procedures, measures, and appropriate analyses; RESULTS: Specific results in summary form; and CONCLUSION: Description of the main outcome of the study.
Standardized criteria will be used to evaluate all abstract submissions. These criteria include:
(1) abstract content,
(2) learning outcomes,
(3) gap addressed,
(5) quality of written abstract,
(6) relevance to the Caucus on Public Health and the Faith Community,
(7) clear methodology and/or sound conceptual framework,
(8) clarity of content and description of subject matter
(NOTE: Incomplete abstracts will not be reviewed.)
The session topics are preliminary and may not reflect the precise content of the final program. The final program will be based on the reviewers rating scores of each abstract proposal with consideration for available time and space, the program theme, and diversity of topics. Topical sessions are determined based on accepted submissions. All topics related to the APHA Annual Meeting are encouraged. Individuals should submit an abstract only if they are committed to presenting the paper themselves or to finding a substitute willing to register, attend the meeting, and present the paper instead. Invitations to present will be withdrawn should authors of awarded abstracts be unable to present at the Annual Meeting. If presenting at the APHA Annual Meeting is contingent on receiving financial support, please do not submit an abstract there is only limited space for presentations, and it is not fair to others to withdraw your abstract just before the APHA Annual Meeting because of lack of funds. Also note there are NO free or reduced registrations for presenters. Submitting an abstract to the Caucus on Public Health and the Faith Community implies that you understand the terms of this Call for Abstracts. Failure to adhere to the instructions outlined in the Call for Abstracts may result in your abstract not being considered and may impact future submissions.
Continuing Education Credit
APHA values the ability to provide continuing education credit to physicians, nurses and health educators at its annual meeting. Please complete all required information when submitting an abstract so members can claim credit for attending your session. These credits are necessary for members to keep their licenses and credentials. For a session to be eligible for Continuing Education Credit, each presenter, panelist, discussant, and/or faculty must provide:
(1) an abstract free of trade and/or commercial product names;
(2) at least one MEASURABLE SINGLE outcome (to understand or to learn are not measurable objectives and compound objectives are not acceptable); Use ONLY the following Measurable Action Verbs: Explain, Demonstrate, Analyze, Formulate, Discuss, Compare, Differentiate, Describe, Name, Assess, Evaluate, Identify, Design, Define or List.
(3) A signed Conflict of Interest form with a relevant qualification statement; Example of Acceptable Qualification Statement: "I am qualified to present because I oversee programs such as disease prevention, environmental and consumer safety and substance abuse prevention and treatment programs. I also served as an associate professor of medicine and chief of the Division of Clinical infectious Disease."
(4) All continuing education learning content must be of sound science or professional practice and serve to maintain, develop, or increase the knowledge, skills and professional competence of the health professional. Learning content should be evidence-based if available. A list of over 30 areas will be provided online for you to choose from. You will be asked to choose at least one or up to 6 areas that your presentation will address.
Dorine J. Brand, PhD, MPH
Department of Public Health
University of Illinois at Springfield
Public Affairs Center 352
One University Plaza, M/S 309
Springfield, IL 62703
Phone: (217) 206-7874