Invitation to Submit:
CHW Involvement: We highly encourage CHW leadership in the development and presentation of abstracts. Extra points will be given based on CHW involvement so please describe within the text of the abstract if CHWs will be presenting and if they played a role in the development of the presentation. Abstract reviewers cannot see author lists, so please clearly describe the participation of CHWs in the development of the abstract in the abstract body. Limited travel assistance through the Sewell Foundation may be available for CHW presenters. Please contact the CHW program planner for more details -
We are particularly interested in both domestic and international abstracts and session proposals that address the following:
JOINT SESSION NOTICE:
Community Health Workers in Public Health Education and Health Promotion (organized jointly with the )
The PHEHP and CHW sections are seeking abstracts related to interdisciplinary approaches among CHWs and public health entities to promote healthy lifestyle behaviors and chronic disease self-management practices. Priority will be given to abstracts focused on: (1) the 2023 theme, "Creating the Healthiest Nation: Overcoming Social and Ethical Challenges;" (2) models/frameworks of successful collaborations between CHWs and public health or medical professionals; and/or (3) the role of CHWs in the delivery/maintenance of clinical care and chronic disease self-management. Abstracts will be reviewed by both the CHW and PHEHP sections.
- IMPORTANT NOTES FOR SUBMISSION -
The CHW Section will organize a minimum of If you are interested in a roundtable presentation, please indicate so in the abstract body and/or in the notes section.
We welcome proposals for innovative, interactive or hands-on workshops for an entire 90-minute session. If you would like to propose such a session, please indicate so in the notes section of your submission AND reach out to the program planner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- PLEASE ADVISE THE PROGRAM PLANNER IF YOU SUBMIT FOR A WHOLE SESSION (email@example.com).
- Abstracts, highlighting both domestic and international, will be considered, based on the content outlined in this call. We welcome presentations in languages other than English! PLEASE NOTE: the abstract must be submitted in English. We will work with the presenter directly to set up interpretation for their session.
- Interactive and participatory presentations that use adult education techniques are especially encouraged. Be sure to include specific details about the interactive/participatory components in your abstract to assist reviewers in scoring your abstract appropriately.
- Please be conscious of power dynamics implicit in your language. We discourage the use of phrases like “using CHWs” or “our CHWs,” especially if you are not a CHW yourself. Instead, try stating one of the following: “employing or partnering with CHWs” and “our CHW colleagues,” or “the CHWs on our team.” If this language is included in your abstract and it is accepted, we may ask you to change your abstract title.